Thursday, March 25, 2010

Songs from the Years of Life...

A post on Monitor Mix asked about songs you related to at a certain age. She cited Jack & Diane's line about "hold on to 16 as long as you can" as one example. Another reader cited the Circle Game (gosh, what a great song!). Others mentioned several of the songs that cited 17 or songs from Sinatra or John Mayer or Janis Ian that mentioned certain years. Someone mentioned Pete Townshend's line in "Slit Skirts":
I was just thirty-four years old and I was still wandering in a haze
I was wondering why everyone I met seemed like they were lost in a maze
Five For Fighting's 100 years really had meaning for me this past year:
I'm 33 for a moment
Still the man, but you see I'm a 'they'
A kid on the way, babe
A family on my mind
With every new (weekly?) pregnancy announcement or milestone or baby born, I think about these words and the passage of time. Different things on my mine, different goals to reach.
15 there's still time for you
22 I feel her too
33 you're on your way
Every day's a new day

No comments: