Saturday, March 13, 2010

Remember Me Controversy

I am not sure if I'd see this, but I've been somewhat intrigued by the controversy surrounding the movie Remember Me. Basically, the protagonist dies in a "surprise" ending on 9/11. Some viewers are outraged, finding the twist exploitative. Others find it moving, an honorable tribute to those victims who really perished in the attack.

I find it somewhere in the middle. I'm guessing it is a rather insipid movie, but I don't think 9/11 should not be addressed. It's already been 8 1/2 years. But it's only been 8 1/2 years.

Anyone who is old enough to remember that day will never forget it. But glossing over it in the new or in the theater isn't going to make it less memorable, or more remarkable. It was a horrific day, and reminding people--including teenage girls too young to really remember--is so important.

No comments: