Monday, March 29, 2010

Oldness

I ran across this link about "culture that makes you feel old." I think I felt old when most of the commentators mentioned their ages and they were all born after me!

The ones that made me feel oldest were the ones born in 1994...when I graduated from high school.

I think I try to stay up on some aspects of pop culture, at least music, though not the kind of Joe Jonas/Miley Cyrus drek that would compare to the worst of the NKOTB/N'Sync drivel of years past.

But movies and TV shows and whatever is on MTV makes me feel old. So is realizing that most of the young 'uns in the office don't remember the Reagan Administration. Or that the high school class of 2010 was born in 1992! Abby Deveraux on Days should be graduating from high school, LOL!

I don't feel old so much as feel more conscious that I'm not regarded as a young 20 something anymore. I'm a parental age. I remember when mom & dad were my age. They had three kids. I started kindergarten when dad was 34, and I am still trying to figure out the entire children thing. I have friends married to men in their 40s, and that it isn't old. I have friends who are almost 40. Not old either. And friends on facebook at least who have teenagers. Teenagers.

The Beloit Mindset list for the class of 2013 makes me feel, and so does the fact that it started four years after I graduated from college. There you have it.

No comments: