Thursday, January 28, 2010

Old Catholic Schools

This piece in the Post today discusses how former Catholic schools in the District are being converted into charter schools. Personally, I'm a fan of this concept: can't afford to keep struggling Catholic schools open? Convert them, so that the education and discipline remains. Give students a choice--choice being the operative word--to attend somewhere beside their usual horrid public school.

But this still makes me sad, that Catholic schools close and so many are so unaffordable. It makes me wonder about the students in the halls of St. Veronica, which is a charter now. I hope they appreciate the education they receive there. I'm glad they are still halls of learning. But it's bittersweet the Catholic option had to close in the first place.

As to whether I'd say my future children to a Catholic school? Maybe, if I could afford it. Maybe, if I could stomach it. That is a question for another date, though...

No comments: