Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Class Act

I could care less who hosts the Tonight Show, but I do feel something for Conan O'Brien. This is classy:

Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show in June of 2009. Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Johnny Carson every night and the chance to one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me. I worked long and hard to get that opportunity, passed up far more lucrative offers, and since 2004 I have spent literally hundreds of hours thinking of ways to extend the franchise long into the future. It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both...

So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of The Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesn't matter. But with the Tonight Show, I believe nothing could matter more.

I can't believe how badly NBC has bungled this. Almost from the get-go, the moving Jay Leno to 10 p.m. and not showcasing television shows at that hour has been a flop. And now they want to go back on their word.

I'm sure Jay Leno has been screwed, too, though I feel less sympathy for him. He didn't have to sign that contract that he'd voluntarily leave 6 years ago. Even if they strong-armed him into going, he could have held firm.

I am guessing that Fox is going to snag Conan, the guy who helped the Simpsons become such a great show two decades ago. We shall see!

No comments: