Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Marie Claire Blogger Controversy

This Marie Claire piece in the November issue has generated loads of attention around the blogosphere, with loads of bloggers alleging author bias, libel, jealousy, hypocrisy etc.

I read the blogs in question, and I agree that the piece does not accurately represent the full picture.  None of the women profiled are overly skinny, and none of them portray themselves as fitness/health experts, though I do think some good points are made.

For example, I questioned their motives for the "Healthy Living Summit" because frankly, only one of them had any real credentials on health, and that was only recently.  A few of them have freely taken corporate endorsements, free trips, ego trips in magazines, etc.  A few of them do appear to have some issues with eating, excessive exercise--it always irritates me to read of "easy-peasy six mile morning runs" without them appearing to have unlimited appetites later.  A few of them have alluded to health problems.  And a few aren't the greatest writers, either.

I hate the culture of groupthink on the comments to the blogs as well, because any criticism is immediately refuted and "trolls" are chastised for being mean girls. Seriously.  Yeah, these girls blog their private lives, never seeking celebrity, but because they accept payment, they are doing a job and are subject to criticism.  If you want fawning, switch to a private blog where only fans can respond. 

Nothing was libelous in the piece, though the author did selectively report on statements designed to fit the angle of the story she was writing.  Seriously, who unquestioningly trusts an author?  You had to be deeply naive to not realize she had an agenda: everyone easily googled her earlier pieces critical of the healthy living movement. And she appeared to have her own issues as well.

It's been interesting being a fly on the wall to this, because while I read, I don't actively participate.  And yeah, it's partly because I can get caught in those comparison traps myself. I'm a decade-ish older, several inches taller, and several pounds heavier than most of these healthy living blogger types.  I have no desire to run a marathon, mostly, though there are times I wonder why I lack that motivation. I see the toll that it takes on their bodies, and a few of them constantly complain about long runs. Why in the hell do you need to run a sixth marathon when you don't enjoy it? And I do think some of them hold superior attitudes about their eating habits, but when you work at home all of the time, of course you have more flexibility in what you eat.  But not all of us have that luxury.  And yes, a couple of them appear to have wealthy families backing them up. Such is life.

Interesting to see if MC responds.  I actually think they are the best of all of the woman's magazines. Yes, they are a bit hypocritical, especially with an anorexic looking Victoria Beckham on the cover.  But they routinely run social/human interest stories, talk about jobs/careers/money issues, and they certainly don't pander to the Cosmo crowd.  Those who are so critical probably haven't picked up an issue. And I certainly have no intention of canceling my subscription because of this. Frankly, Self's awful airbrushing of Kelly Clarkson and its anorexic/orthorexic editor in chief offend me far, far more.

No comments: