Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Birthdays

Not sure I want to write about the latest wedding. So here's a mini tribute to two important from my life:

Grandma would have turned 98 years old on Saturday.  She was a beautiful woman, with beautiful skin, who always had grace and integrity even though she was so sick for so long.  She loved her Charlie perfume.  She loved her fashion and her handbags.  She held such deep religious beliefs, and she is a role model for all Catholic women--all Catholics, really.  Her name, Mary, symbolized the role model she was. She was great with crossword puzzles.  She was a fantastic cook and baker, and I wish I could remember more of her meals, but they were always a treat.  She loved Grandpa, and was a wonderful partner in their marriage.  She had a beautiful smile, and I will always remember her sitting at the back of St. Mark's in her wheelchair, cheerfully greeting everyone.  She was a card shark, pinochle, and I wish she could have taught me to play. 

Paul is my youngest brother, and today he turns 31.  He was a cute kid, a great smile, and irresistible.  He's now a devoted husband, hard-worker, a great fantasy football opponent, and a people pleaser, but that is a good thing.  He is hospitable.  He is friendly.  He is a great sports fan, U-M or Cincinnati or Detroit teams alike.  He likes movies, like Grandpa did.  I am a bit sad that we've been living apart now for over half of our lives, since he was not quite 15 when I started college.  I am a lucky girl to have such great brothers.

No comments: