Thursday, May 31, 2012

40 Years Later...

So my dad is retiring tomorrow.

It makes me feel bittersweet.

I mean, he deserves it. He's worked 40 years in the industry, as an engineer, and another ten before that. So fifty years of work and paying taxes.  And he and mom want to travel and rest and go up north and do what they want to do. But a selfish part of me doesn't want to see him stop working. I want to be young enough to have a dad who isn't retired, you know? I don't feel old enough to have retired parents. And I don't want to be old enough to have them be, well, old....

We joke about wanting to retire all of the time. I mean, we get tired of working. It's hard and long and sometimes utterly exhausting.  But I still have 2/3 of my career left.

It's just bittersweet, you know? Selfish. But happiness. I hope he has a long, long retirement ahead.

No comments: