Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Dose of Detroit Good News

Great to hear that there are some good young leaders who are invested in the city.
"The biggest problem in Detroit is not crime," he said. "It's not education. It's vision. Nobody can say what Detroit is in a positive way. You watch TV. Detroit is the butt of every joke on every station on every show. 'Well, do you want to go to apocalypse or Detroit?' ... And there's no one saying, 'That's not what Detroit is.' ... You have all these young, semiprofessional people here who have lived in Atlanta, who have lived in Chicago, who have lived in L.A. or New York, and they say, 'I can do everything I ever wanted to do right here.' "

Though I disagree; I believe education and family values and violence and drugs are a BIG part of it.

And yes, Matthew Stafford is awesome. This made me teary.
Suddenly, the Lions own quarterback began bidding on the package, Dhani teased about being able to watch and play at the same time, saying I know you were good last year, but man that is talent. I assumed he was driving the price of the package up, all the money goes to Mott, I thought it was incredibly cool of him. As the bidding continued he wasn't backing off… he was in it, he wanted to win that package, and had I known why, I'm certain, I would have been in tears. Somewhere in the $15k range  Matt Stafford was the owner of the MNF package, the crowd laughed, but moments later, that same crowd would be giving the Mott newcomer a standing ovation. As he won the package he turned to Will and said, there you go buddy, you go to Chicago, and take your family. The look on my sons face, I will never forget. His chin began to quiver, he was about to cry. He quickly jumped up and gave Matt a hug, and thanked him over and over again.

No comments: