Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ash Wednesday

I admit it; I skipped church today. I am just not a big fan of the Ash Wednesday service. I guess it creeps me out a bit. I like to avoid it, and I used going to the DMV as an excuse.

Though I find Lent a powerful time, and so much different than Advent, which is anticipation and celebration. Lent is waiting, and it's about prayer and sacrifice and repentance and forgiveness.

I don't do such a good job with the giving things up thing. A year ago, I tried to commit myself to prayer, and now I almost always say the four prayer of childhood when I am laying in bed. For a few moments every day, I would want to commit and pray for someone not myself.

That being said, I'd like to try and commit to praying every morning, if I can. While I walk to work, or shower, or in those moments before leaving the bed. I am not sure if I can keep to that commitment, I would like to try.

No comments: