Thursday, April 22, 2010

Best

Spin just ranked the 125 best albums of the 25 years of its existence, and much to my (pleasant) surprise, Achtung Baby was #1.

The magazine describes:

But the frisson found expression in U2's most immediately dynamic music since 1982's War, and its most emotionally frank songs to date, capturing that particular early-'90s rub of boundless possibility and worn-down despair. Bono's lyrical flights had a battered grit, like a defrocked cleric stirred to regain his flock without the usual trick bag of bullshit. "One" became an indelible anthem because it admitted "we're not the same" but urged that we've gotta "carry each other" nonetheless. The squalling swagger of "The Fly" resonated due to the rock star at its center confessing he's a liar and a thief. And for "Mysterious Ways," the Edge somehow concocted a jubilantly snarling riff that transformed Bono's gospel come-on so it didn't feel gross the morning after.

Usually, OK Computer or Nevermind or something similar ranks at the top. I think Achtung Baby was the first CD I just loved that was seriously awesome music. I bought it in 1991 or 1992, when I was in high school, on cassette, and I listened to that so many times. It took a while for me to get into my musical groove, though I still appreciate the Janet Jackson-esque tunes I listened to at the time. But getting into REM, Natalie Merchant, Green Day, Live, the Cranberries, the Cure, Pearl Jam, Wheezer, and whatever else transitioned to the music I listen to at this day. And I do owe it all to Bono and the boys of U2. I made college friendships through their CDs, I made it to concerts of theirs with friends, and I love their stuff to this day.

I did love OK Computer #5, #21 What's the Story Morning Glory, #35 Automatic for the People, and #42 Dookie, among others, on the list. But nothing compares to Achtung Baby. I should put it on this afternoon...

No comments: