Monday, April 20, 2015

Early Thoughts on the Election

If a presidential candidate was the former Secretary of State, a former United States Senator, and a partner in a foundation that sought to "improve people's lives," and had unparalleled name recognition, you'd think that particular candidate would be a leading one for president.

Winning candidates often don't hold the best resume. Ask the incumbent, right? It's more than a resume, it's more than a law degree. It's rhetoric (ask Ronald Reagan), it's charisma (ask Clinton), and it's an image (ask Kennedy) of what the country wants in a leader, all bundled together. And it's often identity politics (ask Obama).

It is April 20, and the presidential election is over 18 months away. I'll go on record now that a minority or a woman will be on a winning ticket. And like I've said all along, it won't be Hillary.

I'm unexcited about the prospect of a woman in the White House. It does not matter to me one iota. We've had two female candidates for vice president, and both were flawed. We've had flawed presidential candidates. Whether it is two white men, a woman and a white man, or a Hispanic and a woman, it doesn't matter. It's the substance of an individual in a time of national security risks from the middle east and Russia and North Korean; it's a time when individual liberties and the First Amendment is under threat; it's a time when religious believers are shamed as bigots; and it is a time when the soft bigotry of low expectations dooms another generation to live in an urban prison, because educational opportunities are closed when you can't bother to finish high school.

I don't care if it's a woman, or if it's someone with an impressive resume. I care about integrity. I care about honesty and transparency, fully realizing that a lot of politics happens behind closed doors (much like sausage) for very good reasons. I care about the truth this country bears. I care about what opportunities will be available in global competition for my nephews and niece.

I selfishly care about what opportunities may avail themselves to me someday. I was watching Mad Men last night, and Peggy Olsen was asked by Don about what her vision for her future was. She wanted to be the first female creative director at the agency, and she wanted to create something of lasting value. I've diminished myself for too long, often in my own insecurities and in the little ways I demean myself on a daily basis. But I want to dream big, too. And if a door were to open to me, I want that badly.





No comments: