Thursday, January 10, 2013

Hemingway in Paris (repost)

After reading The Paris Wife, I knew I had to read more Hemingway. That's part of my NY's resolution (if I must have one): read more, serious literature and substantive law, both. So I've already completed The Sun Also Rises and I'm currently reading A Moveable Feast. How can you not fall a little bit in love with the 1920s, the "lost generation," the one with secondary characters like Gertrude Stein, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Ezra Pound, and other "characters" from ninety years ago? And of course I have a crush on Hadley, who is every bit as fascinating as her more famous first husband.

I might need to rent Midnight in Paris to fully visualize one set of images from those years, but I can see the Seine, the bookstores and coffee shops, the bars and the old walk-up apartments with 19th century plumbing. I can visualize the fashion, the coziness of a fire, the trips to Spain and the beach and fishing. It was an idealized time, of course, for a generation that saw the horrors of 20th century war. But it's hard not to fall a little bit in love with the era, and the literary stars of the century in one city, in one decade, so very long ago.

I'm enjoying Hemingway and I hope, I really hope, I can read like this. I waste too much time on silly websites, and this is far more enjoyable.

No comments: