Friday, February 24, 2012

Quiet

I've been intrigued by this book Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking. I flipped through it at the airport the other day. As a classic introvert, I certainly felt that I could relate to a good part of the book's premise. And I think introverts can easily be confused as shy, or dismissed as boring or stuck-up, when there are really just different philosophies/personalities at play here. Extroverts are favored because of their outgoing nature, their story telling ability, their natural gregariousness.  And I like to think I am just that way in certain circumstances, in smaller groups. In larger groups, I get talked over and feel like I need to shut down.  But I'm not shy--I can easily speak in a big group, or talk on a conference call.

I've been enthralled with Nothing to Envy, by the way. Such a fascinating account of North Korean refugees who lived to tell how they fled their homes to head to South Korea. I never really how truly, horribly desperate the famines of the 1990s were and how many victims they claimed. I am sure I will finish the book by this weekend.

No comments: