Thursday, August 13, 2009

Timely

After my recent visits to the marriage bureau and Social Security, this is timely.
About 70% of Americans agree, either somewhat or strongly, that it's beneficial for women to take her husband's last name when they marry, while 29% say it's better for women to keep their own names, finds a study being presented today at the American Sociological Association's annual meeting in San Francisco.
I've been more lazy, rather than passionate, in the now year-plus it's taken me to change names. I am not opposed to it, but I'm no where near the camp that 50% think a woman should be forced to take their husband's name. I'm not agnostic...I think it makes a lot more sense if you have children, and I think it makes sense to signal to society that you are a couple, a family. But no way would I ever require it.

No comments: