Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Recent Reviews

So I've actually been reading and seeing a couple of movies lately:

  • Julie and Julia...both the film and the book. I marginally liked the movie lately, if only because the protagonist author seemed so unlikeable to me. (Plus the gratuitous slams at Republicans irked me!!!) But I loved the film about cooking, Meryl Streep was fantastic, and it was nice to read a happy book about happily married couples. Rare in Hollywood, and in print. The book did a better job at setting the post 9/11 stage, the angst at turning 30, and the desire to do something memorable.
  • I read The Middle Place, mostly at the DMV. It was a funny, relateable memoir, and it made you think that cancer can happen, bad things can happen, but you can survive.
  • Having missed Star Trek thanks to United Airlines, I did see Ghosts of Girlfriends Past enroute home. It was a fun movie, I really thought Jennifer Garner looked beautiful, and Matthew McConaughey was perfectly cast. It helped that portion of the trip go by much more quickly.
  • I started the American Sphinx book, but took a short break from it. I'm going to finish that before starting Steve Hayward's Age of Reagan Part Deaux.

No comments: