Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Self Hypocrisy

So the recent Self magazine covershot of Kelly Clarkson looking a size 6, when she is more like a size 12, has been generating lots of controversy. Self editor Lucy Danziger wrote one of the most hypocritical responses I can recall, basically saying it's ok to airbrush, it makes things honest. She even revealed she air-brushed herself after she ran a marathon!!

Her idiocy:

Did we alter her appearance? Only to make her look her personal best. Did we publish an act of fiction? No. Not unless you think all photos are that. But in the sense that Kelly is the picture of confidence, and she truly is, then I think this photo is the truest we have ever put out there on the newsstand.
Here was my comment:

I find this response to be completely hypocritical. And I am disgusted to hear you would admit to being retouched after running a marathon. How vain are you???? There is a stark difference between slimming yourself down for a photo to appear in a national magazine and choosing a more flattering shot for a Christmas photo. There is also a difference between smoothing a wrinkle in a blouse and shaving off arm flab or other unwanted fat. As a woman in her 30s, I feel secure about my body. But many of your readers don't, and many young women don't. You admit that the cover has to sell magazines. You've basically conceded someone a bit plump won't. What kind of message does that send about "being your best self?" I am seriously considering not renewing my subscription because I have lost all respect for the editors of this magazine.
I hope someone loses their job over this. You should not edit a woman's magazine, devoted to being your best self, if you are this condescending and dishonest.

No comments: