Thursday, June 19, 2008

Happy Hours

I caught up with Kathy at Poste on Tuesday and Jenny W at Ceiba tonight. I don't tadhink I have seen Kathy in about a year. She is doing well, no new news to report. It has been nearly a decade since we've met and now that I think about it, the person I have known the longest in DC. Wow. Talking to Jenny, we were commiserating on friends who are pregnant, moving on to the next stages of our lives, and how just when you develop your niche, things advance and something changes. Not a bad thing by any means. But one day you are right out of school, living in the group house and not making any money and eating pasta every night or drinking dollar buds at Politiki.

Even the change between being 27 and 32 is stark enough. That was what, 2003? Then again, everyone got married then, and that was so traumatic at the time. But really, not much has changed. Kids change things more than anything. And I am fortunate to have girlfriends in the city who are at the same stage of their lives as I am, trying to come to grips with being older, being married or just about so, knowing that you do not want to be AMA (advanced medical age!) at the doctor, but knowing what reality often tells you.

We had dinner with the married people on Sunday, great red meat and shrimp and more desserts than we could consume. And it's great, and I would not want to be anywhere else. But wow, do times change and they change in good ways and different ways and crazy ways sometimes. But if Sal's college roommate could be having a baby and her little sister getting divorced, what else could change? Stuff to ponder six weeks, one day, and 15 hours from the wedding. I would like to think I will not change, not matter what stuff changes, and I will maintain these friendships and keep these circles of friends. But who knows where I will be at 42 years old...who knows what will change. It will be an interesting time.

No comments: