Wednesday, February 16, 2011

End of an Era.

Borders is filing for bankruptcy and is shuttering many of its stores. Including, so very sadly, the one right across from my office.

Man, I have spent hundreds upon hundreds of hours wandering around that store. I am so sad. I love Borders. I love actual book stores. Now I'm going to have to trek several blocks away to Dupont or the other book stores in the city. Or turn to Amazon. It's fed my reading habit over the years, my music habit, my trashy magazine habit, and my coffee habit. Gifts and such, too. Sigh. It's the end of an era.

We've lost other cool nearby locations, whether it was the food court at Farragut North (McDonalds and Sbarro), that pizza place where Vapiano's is, Dean & Deluca, Wendy's and Vie de France, that place where I'd get cheap pasta (can't remember the name, actually both of its locations), the Limited on Connecticut, and more places than I care to recall.  Generations of young workers bees will need to find a new place to procrastinate over lunch.

Well, perhaps there will be some good clearance sales.

R.I.P. Borders.

No comments: