Thursday, February 17, 2011

90s Music

I contributed a comment on this thread about the awesomeness or lack thereof of 90s rock. I think my biggest frustration with mainstream radio, particularly DC 101 or that obnoxious Fresh FM station, is that the music is stuck in the 90s. I graduated from high school and college in that decade, and whenever I turn on DC radio I still hear the sounds of Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc. Occasionally there is a Phoenix, Kings of Leon, Mumford & Sons, or Black Keys song, but it's a rare thing.  And the songs don't premiere til a full year after their debut.  I checked DC 101's page, and one of the last songs they played was Fatboy Slim's Praise You. And yeah, it is good to hear something contemporary, but it include a bigger mix of more "mainstream" alternative like Pete Yorn, Cold War Kids, Drive by Truckers, Scissor Sisters, or Adele? I don't think I've heard any of those songs on the radio.

I think they still do New Music Mart, and I remember in those years right after college, I religiously listened to it every night to discover something new.  Then with the advent of online radio, options opened up and I didn't have to rely on DC radio.  Good thing, too, because if I did, I would have gotten satellite a long time ago.

Anyway, thought it was an interesting post. I wonder what they'll say about 2000's music?

No comments: