Friday, June 12, 2009

Write Right

So we are in the middle of junior employee hiring season here, with four vacancies. One was filled about 24 hours after it was opened to a 2009 grad. The decision was swift, smooth, and seamless. I think. Her writing sample was horrid, and if anyone had bothered to read it, should have made this decision a little less seamless. Ugh. Grammatical mistakes throughout, run-on sentences, sentence fragments, the misuse of commas, etc. etc. All of my pet peeves about writing in one ten page document. Not to mention overuse of citations from Time and PBS.

I've ranted somewhere on this page about the Generation Y problem. The cockiness, the arrogance, the "I'm better and smarter than you" issue. And if someone thinks it is acceptable to submit a paper she probably received an A on, promptly received a job offer, and no one seemed the wiser, then you can see how one develops an attitude like this.

Well, I don't want to be one that says "I told you so." And I hope I am wrong. But in this case, I don't think I am. If you can't have a flawless, or at least grammatically coherent, writing sample (and this does not even get into the issue of her thesis, which had no logic or coherence to it), the one thing you use as the primo example of why you should be hired, then what does that say about your abilities, judgment, and skill set???

No comments: