Monday, March 3, 2008

Getting Older

We celebrated SJE's birthday this weekend. 34. I turn 32 tomorrow. We kept it low key, drinks at Stetsons, several games of Scrabble, dinner last night at Urbana. It gets harder and harder to rally friends to come out. We, sadly, are getting older.

Hanging out with the young 'uns on Friday night reminded me we've done the DC happy hour/going out and partying scene for over a decade now, or almost a decade. Our friends are married, have kids, live in the 'burbs. I think SJE was a little sad to think of the crazy parties they'd have for birthdays and what not ten years ago, or even five years ago. But at the same time, it's nice not to have to be playing that scene. Hanging out in a crowded bar is not my idea of a good time, particularly when you can easily get cheaper drinks sitting at home and having a good conversation.

So tomorrow I celebrate--yes, celebrate--turning 32. It will be a good year, with lots of things to look forward to (like a wedding! a nephew! a new sister-in-law! fun travel! seeing old friends!). I can't wait.

No comments: