Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Grays

I think I found a gray hair today.

My hair can get a tinge of blondish reddish sometimes in the summer. But this was a pale, white one.

Ugh.

I don't dwell on the fact that I'm only 22 months away from 40, or that next week will mark twenty years since I've graduated from high school. Or I've had this job for 15 years. Or that my parents are in their late 60s. I mean, I still feel the way I did when I was 24.

I'm going to interview a kid that was basically born in 1992. I was sixteen then. Gah.

I search for new lines on my face and crow's feet, and lines on my hands. And wrinkles. And it's hard to relate to people who don't remember the years I was in high school, or even college. Or who were born nearly into the Clinton presidency. And I've yet to contemplate becoming someone's mother.

I will fight to keep my natural brown hair for as long as I can. But I won't fight forever.  I can't fight Mother Nature. I guess it beats the alternative.

No comments: