Sunday, May 11, 2014

When You Aren't a Mother

Mother's Day is always difficult for me, like it is for many. I'm lucky and blessed and grateful that I have a wonderful mother, and I was lucky enough to see her last weekend. But we're separated by so many miles and it's rare when I can be with her on Mother's Day. And I know she is sad about that, too.

But there's another reason. And it's a selfish one, maybe. Because so many mourn their mothers or have dealt with relationships with their mom fraught with drama and difficulty. But me...I yearn to be a mom. And it's not for any particular reason...but it is what it is. And in a way, I'm glad I can isolate myself from Mother's Day. Motherhood is sooo celebrated, as it should be. It is almost glorified and exalted much more today than it was when I was young, at least as far as I can recall. And there are Facebook posts with proud mamas and their babies, throwback posts and adoring husbands just loving on their wives. And family members, too.

I think sometimes we're overly sensitized, and we tiptoe around offending people. And I don't mean to call for a boycott on everything Mother's Day just to avoid hurting someone's feelings. It's only one day, and it's a Hallmark Holiday anyway. But all day, wow...I have to block it out. And I think we all could do a little more to realize that for many reasons, this day is hurtful for many. Those missing their moms because of death or distance, those mourning a baby lost before the baby was even born or prematurely, those who yearn to be a mama but aren't because they haven't met the right man or have health issues or anxiety or doubt. And those who offered their baby for adoption and still miss them desperately. And as proud as mamas should be, and as much as they love and sacrifice for their families, they should also have compassion for those women who so desperately would trade places.

No comments: