Thursday, August 22, 2013

Readings Lately

After a few weeks full of plane travel, I was able to finish a couple of great books, very different ones. I finished off Sisterland, which was a ridiculous beach read with the "twist" ending about the earthquake happening (or not...). I've read a couple of other Curtis Sittenfeld books, so I knew her tone and that she was a good storyteller. I think I'm doing good with my New Year's resolution on reading more fiction.

I absolutely devoured Why Nations Fail. The authors may dumb down their theory on inclusive/extractive states, but the logic of institutions mattering more than democracy or culture or geography is a compelling thesis. It reminded me that I needed to go back to my book on the Fate of Africa, particularly after the authors detail failures in Egypt, Sierra Leone, South Africa, the Congo, and other states in Africa. And I want to learn more about the successes in Botswana. I would certainly recommend this very readable account, and I want to see out some of the more academic writings of the authors, as well.

No comments: