Monday, August 12, 2013

Flashbacks

So in a 24 hour time period, two reminders of high school reared their heads. Good and bad. I'm having lunch on Wednesday with someone I literally have not seen for 20 years. And yesterday, someone else I have not seen for 20 years passed away in a tragic, freak accident. She leaves behind three siblings, a husband, and two very young children.

Ironic, huh?

I can't stop thinking about this, and the pictures online are so haunting to me. She was always beautiful, even more so now. I was always intimidated by those beautiful popular girls with gorgeous smiles that seem to attract all sorts of attention. And I never friended her online because I doubted she would remember me. But that is already a regret.

Life just happens sometimes. And who we are and where we come from...it is always a part of us. We never know what tomorrow will bring, and we will never know how many lives we touched and how many souls will remember. Our pasts can be so haunting, and so mysterious, and so unforgettable. And it's miraculous how two distinct individuals whom I have not seen in two decades both touch me in a weekend.

I have many regrets and unhappy teenage memories. But I think that small bond is always there with that group of girls from my first high school. God bless them, all.

No comments: