Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A Time to Grieve

President Obama is now speaking in Tucson, at a memorial service to honor and remember the victims of Saturday's awful shooting.  My reaction: I am wanting him to be a leader, as he is our president and presidents serve as the one who can bring the country together at times of grew sorrow.  I want him to transcend the horrible politicalization of this, going beyond the blame that the far left has for the right. 

I will never forget President Reagan's speech, nearly a quarter of century ago, after the Challenger disaster, a tragedy that claimed seven victims and was the first real national tragedy I can recall.  His words was the first step in attempting to heal this nation, which so needed it. 

Obama is doing good in eulogizing these victims, who were young and old, workers and retired, Republicans, too.  But I hope he knows, he can do more good by transcending the bitterness of this, and heal.

No comments: