Friday, December 3, 2010

Memories IV

Fourth Grade...It was a pretty good year. I remember more math races and Miss Marie. I remember seats in science and having to replicate Jupiter, with that gigantic sheet. I remember hating to compete with Julie for that first seat. I was already getting self conscious. I remember square dancing lessons--no, was that fifth grade? Or fourth? Camp. It was a big deal then.

There were still slumber parties and Girls Just Want to Have Fun and Madonna and Cyndi Lauper and dressing up like we were older.  Is that when Diane moved away?

I remember when only me and Eric B. finished those story problems and we were the only ones to get the trick question right...dozen=12, not 1. 

I remember book club, and getting my new order the day the Challenger blew up. Almost 25 years ago! I remember saying to mom, "The one the teacher was one?" and not knowing how I knew that. Maybe I had heard it on the news. It was a growing realization of the news, having known about things like the Cold War and the anniversary of the Statue of Liberty. A beginning of a political consciousness.

I think things became more socially complicated in fifth grade...fourth grade was ok. Not terrible, not bad.

No comments: