Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Now I Get It...

So we played hooky a bit this morning to watch a very exciting US vs. Algeria World Cup soccer match, which the U.S. pulled out at the very end, 1-0 (should have been 2-0). The BlackFinn was a great venue, and the crowd was so much into the game. Now I get the excitement about soccer...the crowd was every bit as important as the game, and when the U.S.'s Landon Donovan scored in stoppage time to score, the crowd really erupted. The U.S. needed the win to advance to the next round, because England defeated Slovenia, and not only that, by winning the U.S. would be the #1 seed in Group C. And apparently by winning, their chances of not playing Germany in the next round diminished. So that is good, from what I've been told.

It's not that I don't care about soccer. I think seeing it with the crowd added a lot for me. And it was an exciting game, the U.S. clearly dominated, and something was actually at stake. So yeah, a 0-0 game for most of the time was exciting. I'm not sure I could watch a 0-0 game between Slovenia and Algeria, for example. But soccer is growing on me; at least, the World Cup is growing on me.

No comments: