Monday, March 30, 2009

RIP Detroit Newspapers

Starting this week, the Detroit News & Free Press are ceasing daily delivery, shifting to a model of online/limited delivery/slimmed down newsstand editions. As a newspaper junkie, even though I admittedly don't read even the Post every day, I am really sad about this. I remember coming home from school and searching for the afternoon edition of the News. I remember dad reading the paper nearly cover to cover every night after work. I remember getting up on Saturdays to sift through all of the ads, magazines, etc. for a good half-hour plus. Getting the paper is still the first thing I do in the morning after getting ready for work.

It's traditions like these that kids today won't know anything about. I guess even I rely on the internet for most of my news. The nightly news is passe, old news, etc. Though it is reliably still there on days when something that needs visuals and voices is newsworthy.

The papers' deaths are another sign that things in that things in Michigan just aren't good. Yes, the Michigan State Spartans are in the Final Four, being played at Ford Field, and downtown will come alive for that. But who can afford the tickets, really? And if the papers don't publish to homes next Tuesday, then you'll miss coverage of the potential NCAA victors, regardless of who wins.

Heck, how will you make scrapbooks like I did for the Tigers, tracking their great victories in 1987? I guess you can print things off the internet. You didn't have that record then. But who cares if anyone can access a piece at any time? Scrapbooks are nostalgic memories of the moment. Another thing that kids today won't ever experience.

Boo to the Detroit papers, though at least they are still alive for now.

No comments: