Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ash Wednesday

Today is Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent. I'm not big on the Ash Wednesday service itself...it reeks of trendy Catholicism, if you know what I mean...but I'm pondering what I should do over the next forty days to incorporate this season a bit more in my life. I need to start with prayer, something I am not always so conscious of. Five minute chats with God, along with the daily prayers of childhood, is something I would like to be more conscious of. Let's see how I do on that.

There's a part of this day, too, that reminds me of New Year's Day. I want to be more thoughtful. I want to be less snarky. I want to read more, an article a day about the world outside my own. I've become too self-centered at times, not in a selfish way, but I've been more disconnected from the world. This relates to Lent in a way, though not so directly: I used to read the Economist every week on the Metro, and that of course does not happen now. But I do want to regain that connection through reading about what's going on in the world, good, and mostly bad at times, in that thoughtful way as a way to remember how blessed I've been, how lucky I've been, and how there is very little I lack or want for, despite not having everything I would want. I have a wonderful family, husband, friends, home, and job.

The Lord is my Shepherd, there is nothing I shall want.

No comments: