Sunday, December 9, 2007

The Great Upheaval

I finally finished Jay Winik's The Great Upheaval yesterday. Good book. I thought some of the Russia chapters were a bit slower, though I did find the portrait of Catherine very intriguing. And I do agree with those critics who questioned why he didn't include England. After painting a portrait of what life was like in the West that decade, I think that part of the picture was a gap.

I think Dangerous Nation will be a nice complement. I definitely am intrigued to learn more about 19th century U.S. history. Maybe I will pick up a bio of Andrew Jackson or something next. Or Washington or Jefferson. Not sure which. I want to back through that book bought eons ago of Hamilton's writings and inspired writings. I think thanks in part to Chernow he is my favorite founding father.

But the Winik book was good; I'd give it a B+. The Louis XVI/Marie Antoinette chapters were fascinating, and he portrayed them sympathetically. More to read about!

No comments: