Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Sad

My SIL's family has been in my thoughts and prayers since last Friday when her BIL was killed in a tragic work accident in Detroit. Their seven year is so close to my nephew. And it breaks my heart that three children have lost their dad. That a week ago, everything was fine, and they were celebrating Spring and Tigers baseball and anticipating Easter. And tomorrow there will be a funeral.

I think I said a week or so ago that I've been struggling with feelings of inequality, with abundance, with entitlement, with selfishness, maybe. And I feel lucky and guilty: thank God this is not my brother, my sister-in-law, my nephews that are feeling the loss. Which is not really true, of course. I know my brother and SIL will be their for their nieces and nephew, and that family will remain close and comforting and supportive. But damn. This is absolutely horrible. 36 is far too young. Granted, any age is too young to lose your father. But it should never happen when you are in the second grade. Or in high school. And no amount of money or financial assistance or lawsuit can change things.

There are other awful stories coming from Detroit...Basil, killed at his store while surviving cancer, a father who tried to help a kid he accidentally hit with his car who gets beaten into a coma. I think we all can be kinder to each other. And maybe offer more compassion, too. Because you never know.

No comments: