Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Gotta Love It

This guy always makes me smile. We loved seeing him on our commuting days on H Street, and I was happy to see that the Washington Post profiled the backwards runner.
If running backward brought Givens attention, it also helped him focus on what was important in his world. Running became both more pleasurable and more meaningful. He ran slower, but with a heightened awareness. For nearly 30 years he has interacted with his neighborhood, with his city and with people in a way he hadn’t before. He says he feels connected to everyone he sees on his run.
“People feel like they know me on a personal level,” he says. “And when I’m running, I’m really getting into it with the folks. To me, it’s spiritual.”
It leads, he says, to a regular conversation.
“I ask God all the time, ‘Why do you have me running backwards?’ ” Givens says. “But only God knows the answer.”
God may be the only one who knows, but Givens has a few ideas.
“You don’t realize how many people you are changing,” he says. “People tell me, ‘You’re an inspiration. You’re a legend.’ ” He laughs. “Maybe it’s the joy I’m bringing people. I don’t know, but it feels good.”

No comments: