Monday, September 17, 2012

Weekend Part II: H Street Festival

Wow. That's all I can say. If estimates of 65,000-70,000 are to be believed, and I do, that was one hell of a street party. We blow Adams Morgan Day away, absolutely. I've never seen crowds like that, and it was nearly impossible to move down the street. The sun was hot and we all got some color, so staying out for more than a couple of hours wasn't feasible when you could not move around much and the lines were so long. Next week, I think they need to extend it down to 6th or 7th, at least, to give folks some breathing room.  And I have no doubt they could fill that street space.

All of the credit goes to the organizers, to the fantastic music--I was impressed by the Michelle Raymond Band, to the food, to the new restaurant previews like Newsom,  to the entertainment, to the vendors and stands representing everything from the fabulous Union Market to information about the trolley.  It was utterly amazing.

If the worst criticism is that it was too crowded, well, that says a lot. Til next year!

No comments: