Monday, August 13, 2012

Paul Ryan

We were pretty happy, after a fun night out at a favorite restaurant, to hear the news that Romney was going to pick Paul Ryan to be his running mate. I've speculated about his selection, and I admit I was not so sure it would happen. I remember Paul Ryan speaking in DC at least a dozen years ago, when I was 24 or 25ish, at Heritage. He was young, good looking, and stridently conservative. And he was the best selection that Romney could make.

He will stomp all over Joe Biden in the debate, and he will help ideas be debated. Not just attack, not just cliched statements about being wealthy and out of touch. He is Catholic and pro-life. He is a reformer. He is the first nominee from Generation X. He is one of the few who invoke Ryan.

I predict that Ryan will end up in the Oval Office at some point. Sure, he will make mistakes. But this is the next generation of leadership, and it is long past time that we turn forward.  And his opening salvo: perfect. Wonderful way to introduce yourself to the American public.

No comments: