Friday, August 24, 2012

Fire and Rain

This week has gone by so quickly, but it also has been a long one. I went to Chicago for Donna's father's funeral on Tuesday and Wednesday. I don't want to write about it--the tragedy of seeing her strong mother, her sweet little nephew waving to the Knights of Columbus, feeling the embrace, witnessing the tears, and knowing that ache does not just go away. But people are stronger than you think, right? There is something comforting in the ritual of the Catholic funeral. "On Eagle's Wings" and Psalm 90 and Psalm 91.

James Taylor's classic "Fire and Rain" has been running through my head lately.  You know those lyrics. And the last month, Africa and weddings and a new niece and a friend's sad goodbye...all of those eternal things. Like the priest said, they are a part of our journey. And gosh, what a journey we're on. I looked at my church a little differently after these past couple of days. I was so grateful to have my faith. So grateful to have something to believe in.  And so grateful for friendship. The ability to be there for someone and to smile in those tears. So grateful.




No comments: