Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Burnt out at 30?

So I can and cannot relate to this article about millennials feeling burnt out by 30.

I think it is common to feel burnt out and tired of working the daily 9-6 plus overtime and weekends, and I can only imagine how hard it is if you have a baby at home.  But it's life, and I don't think that this generation is unique in having to deal with thees struggles. Yes, some say that Gen Y is coddled and raised to expect success and have such high expectations/coddling thrust upon them.  But at the same time, I don't think things have changed that much in a decade. Work is life is work, and we need to adjust.  I think this sentiment of coddling has led many to opt out to try to "work at home" and "consult" and have a non-traditional schedule.  But ultimately, I think that will backfire in the long term. Those who stick it out eventually arise through the ranks, experience some professional success, and thrive. Continuously opting out only makes you a step behind, and you have to work all that much harder to prove yourself. And unless you have filthy rich parents, we're all ultimately on an even playing field out there.

So my heart does not weep for them.  Just wait til how burnt out they all feel at 35!!

No comments: