Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Happy Birthday

My baby brother turns 32 today.  We're getting so old....and the Tigers play this afternoon, down 2 games to 1.  One memory I have of his fifth birthday is the Tigers winning the 1984 World Series. That was the first and most memorable sports championship that I recall.  We were so excited about it, wearing our small "Bless You Boys" t-shirts and having spirit day at school.  That championship was at a time when Detroit was wallowing again in despair, with crime rates up and only a few weeks before the infamous Devil's Night arson-palooza. 

But I will always associate that victory with Paul's birthday. It was October, and we had the family celebration. Mom made a cake, and grandma and grandpa and grandpa Joe and Leigh Ann and Charlie and Diana were probably there, too. Our small little family.  Has it really been over twenty years since those celebrations? I remember that was a day to celebrate.

I can't believe he is 32. I remember when he was born, too, and I remember his baptism. I can't believe I remember a time before he was born, but I really can't remember much without him. I'm lucky to have such great brothers, and sisters-in-law, too.

No comments: