Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Ode to Old Media

I've bade farewell to Paste in print and WOXY on this blog. And I said an earlier farewell when Borders closed across the street.  And now all Borders will close, so sadly.

I am as guilty as anyone in terms of buying from Amazon or other online vendors.  But I will miss the ability to cross the street, and immediately be able to page through a new book or a new magazine or to pick up an actual CD. I am not a Kindle convert--and even if I do become one day--nothing will ever compare to the feeling of flipping through an actual book.

And Borders did contribute to the death of the bookstore, when its big box tendencies really did crowd out smaller competitors.  Remember Trover's?  Remember B Dalton's? And Waldenbooks? At least Kramerbooks and Books a Million remain, but I could never really get into the latter.

I am struggling to think of that book and music store that used to be up near Dupont Circle...oh what was it called? It was a local chain. [Update: Olsson's!!!]

I guess we still have Barnes & Noble. But I fear one day, they will go away, too. RIP Borders.

No comments: