Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Good Bye Oprah

As a former guest (kind of) and someone who has spoken with Oprah, I have to say farewell today as she broadcast her last show. I ordinarily don't care so much for this "you are good enough" talk, but I think she has spoken some powerful words. And her obsession with the Obamas outstanding, I do have to say she's been a powerful and positive force to be reckoned with.

And this is as conservative a thing as someone can say:
From her early shows, when there was a focus on people making mistakes and learning from them, Oprah says the ultimate lesson there was that "nobody but you is responsible for your life. It doesn’t matter what your mama did, doesn’t matter what your daddy did, you are responsible for your life. What is life? Energy. And you are responsible for the energy that you create for yourself and you are responsible for the energy you bring to others...That's what we learned on this show. You are responsible for your life, and when you give back, everything changes. Don't wait for someone to fix you, complete you, or change you. When you are responsible for your life, you get free."
Thanks, Oprah, for a great twenty five years. I've watched her by myself and with my mom, and I'm sure there has been a show or two that has really resounded with me. Even dad watched her Sound of Music reunion!  So she will be missed, even by me.

No comments: