Monday, December 14, 2009

Whole Food Republicans

Lots of this sounds familiar:

What's needed is a full-fledged effort to cultivate "Whole Foods Republicans"—independent-minded voters who embrace a progressive lifestyle but not progressive politics. These highly-educated individuals appreciate diversity and would never tell racist or homophobic jokes; they like living in walkable urban environments; they believe in environmental stewardship, community service and a spirit of inclusion. And yes, many shop at Whole Foods, which has become a symbol of progressive affluence but is also a good example of the free enterprise system at work. (Not to mention that its founder is a well-known libertarian who took to these pages to excoriate ObamaCare as inimical to market principles.)
Yes, you can be a city-dwelling yuppie type who votes conservative. And maybe I'd quibble a bit...I "believe in environmental stewardship," because I refuse to pay taxes for plastic bags, but I also don't like waste. I believe in diversity, including philosophical/ideological diversity. And I appreciate Whole Foods, both because I admire its libertarian-leaning CEO, and also because I value the foods that go into my body. I'd rather not eat crap, for the most part, after I take so much time to run and work out.

The Republican party can have smart, educated, urban voters who care about their communities. It's not that a "progressive" lifestyle is better, but it's just not "liberal."

No comments: