Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Writer's Block

I've been going through a (long) spurt on writer's block. I want to write more, think more critically, put pen to paper or keystroke to board, or whatever analogy you'd like to use. And I can't. I think being such a generalist doesn't help me, because there is never one singular thing to focus on. And unless you're a random columnist for some magazine or a style section, that's hard. For example, I care about:
  • Politics and legal issues, particularly how Obama's policies or lack thereof (thank you, SNL) are affecting this country, impeding economic recovery, and contributing to a culture in which blame is used to rationalize progress, and not just "progressive" progress.
  • Exercise, running, fitness, cooking, etc...the source of all of the health and fitness blogs I lurk at. But I have no desire to track my meals or offer nutrition advice or design recipes. It's a hobby.
  • Entertainment, celebrity babies, discovering new music, etc. etc. All of which I consider a hobby.
  • Detroit, how the state of Michigan is suffering economically. How the state can't create jobs, can't retain young college graduates, can't innovate, can't attract new residents. But Michigan has fantastic sports teams, the great up north, water and good people. What drives it?
  • City and neighborhood politics and culture and discovering Capitol Hill and enjoying Washington, DC and H Street.
  • The issues that every 30-something woman is worried about, children and home and working full-time and making time for friends and family and husband and house-wifery.
  • Travel and seeing more of this country, visiting cities and connecting with members and having the freedom to go abroad.
I feel pulled in so many directions because I am, though I don't think that is a unique situation at all. I always thought I'd have more of a focus, and I'd fall into some certain public policy and be writing and participating in creating public policy as opposed to facilitating others' participation. I'm not sure what that means for me, career-wise. But I need to come to grips with my lack of focus and my writer's block if I want to be a writer. More to come...

No comments: