Thursday, September 10, 2009

Remembering

I will never forget the morning of September 11, with the beautiful blue sky, the sun shining, the absolutely clearness and beauty of a late summer day. I remember chattering about U2 concerts and a recent trip to Florida and absolutely nothing of any relevance that morning. It is hard to believe it has already been eight years now, since that pre-September 11 mindset kicked in.

I remember sitting at my desk, Doug coming in and telling me that a plane hit the World Trade Center. I remember clicking on ABCnews.com, that graphic struggling to upload of a picture of a tiny plane hitting a tall tower. I remember turning on the radio, hearing the crazy rumors of car bombs on the mall and Rosslyn on fire. I remember Jenny scared about her friends' siblings in NYC, and I remember wondering why in the hell Steve was not answering his phone. I remember that rush of a crowd, every man and woman for themselves, going in no particular direction and talking to no particular person. It was the last time I was without a cell phone. I remember getting the news about Barbara, and I remember sitting outside at Laurial Plaza with that eclectic group of people, just wondering what in the hell was going on and why there were armed men patrolling the streets. And I remember wearing the same dress I wore to my college graduation and have never worn since, though I will always keep it. I remember a lot from that day.

Eight years ago today, the world was captivated by shallow things that don't really seem to matter much in the greater scheme of things. It's a miracle, but not one unaffected by the work of the Bush Administration, that there were no further attacks in the interim.

It seems strange to be celebrating a wedding this weekend, but life and love do go on and endure in a way that befits that date. Terrorists don't win these games. But gosh, it is still so hard to let a summer day mesmerize you in September and NOT think of that September 11. I am glad it is cloudy, and it might rain today. I am glad it is cool and not that perfect late-summer temperature. And I am glad that so many people part of my life that day are still part of my life. Very lucky and blessed, indeed. More later...

No comments: