Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The politics of art

Candidates and Their Music: I liked this post by Carrie Brownstein on NPR's All Songs Considered site. Particularly this passage:

We'd like to think that our favorite bands, especially those who ostensibly share our political outlooks, have ideologically similar fans. Yet I'm sure followers of Franz Ferdinand or Modest Mouse vote on both sides of the aisle, which is why music is better at uniting people than politicians.

Very true! Artists should be artists. I'm SO tired of politics being infused in songs. If you want to be a politician, fine. But accept the consequences: I won't buy Green Day CDs, or see a George Clooney or Sean Penn film, because of their newfound politicking.

Similarly, I saw Juno over the weekend. I really liked it. And while the abortion issue did arise, the movie was not about that. It was about some kid who got pregnant and gave up the baby. It was about teenagers and being young and stupid and smart alecky.

I am not saying that film or music should be apolitical. I just think that filmakers and song writers need to be cognizant of the fact that audiences come in all shapes, colors, and ideologies. And if they want to make money, they should remember that, and not be offended when my choice as a consumer is to buy a ticket or a CD, or not.

No comments: