Thursday, July 25, 2013

Belated Binge Watch

Six months late, I just binge watched my way through Season 1 of House of Cards. While it is somewhat Sopranos meets the West Wing, it is also an addictive, over-the-top faux version of a DC soap opera. I think they taped in Baltimore, and it showed. There was a lots of unrealistic DC-type things, but the story definitely resonates. The receptions, the drinking, the elevation of some non-profit causes (drinking water) to pivotal. Like the West Wing, the show is a glossier version of Washington, and it's not how I know this city. But it's a version that speaks truth to some of the worst parts of DC.

Kevin Spacey and Robin White are marvelous, and the dialogue is quite zippy at times. I'm thinking season 2 will be one reason to hold onto my Netflix subscription.

No comments: