Tuesday, May 4, 2010

RIP Ernie Harwell

After an eight month battle with cancer, Ernie Harwell passed away tonight. He was 92.

Tears are in my eyes, because he was such an iconic voice of my childhood. Hearing him announce Tigers games is something I will remember from childhood, him and Paul Carey on the radio. He was everyone's grandfather, and he was every bit the Detroit Tiger was Al Kaline, Alan Trammell, Kirk Gibson, every hero from 1968 and 1984 were. He was a war hero, a devoted husband, a proud Detroiter, and really one of the most beloved people you never really knew. And I am upset and saddened he's gone. He's a voice, a man you knew in your childhood and that part of Detroit and the Tigers is gone now. An end of an era, really.

I am sure he is in a happy place now, because he deserves whatever reward heaven has in store for him. But this earth is a little less of a place without him.

More here. And here.

No comments: