Tuesday, January 20, 2009

President Obama

It is a little odd being a Republican in DC today. The city has an energy today that reminds me of very few other days here. There have been some memorable "DC" days for me... Reagan's funeral, and 9/11.

It was almost eerily quiet on our block, despite the fact that we were only one mile away from the pomp and circumstance. A day ago, things were hopping, and I saw our new President at the Sascha Bruce House a short trip down the street. And now he's the leader of the free world.

I really pray for our new president, and that he has the wisdom and strength to do both what is good and what is morally right. I pray for President George W. Bush and thank him for his eight years of service to our country. I thank him for keeping us safe since 9/11, and for protecting life, and for his courage in making some really difficult decisions on the international stage. And I pray that the years and decades he has left will serve our country well, too.

I know people are energized, and paraphrasing the First Lady's words "proud of their country for the first time in a long time today." But I've always been proud to be an American, and inauguration day always proves that. We have been lucky and blessed that strong leaders have served, and I hope that is always true. God bless America.

No comments: