Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Facebook

So I took the plunge recently and joined Facebook. I think I am up to 57 friends, a collection of current and former colleagues, work associates, DC friends, and old classmates. It is a complete time-waster, though I am proud to say I have not resorted to cute little status updates like "I am baking pumpkin bread" or "I can't believe Stella isn't the Mother!" Though I am tempted to flesh out my profile with a little of favorite music groups and join some other random groups like "1,000,000 against an Obama presidency." Though that last thing is inevitable, right?

Anyway, my curiousity is piqued in finding out what happened to random HS people I haven't heard from in decades now, and finding out that most people from Detroit who are on facebook have something to be proud of, whether it's a beautiful family or education and a successful job. I will say the wedding definitely was a factor in my creating a profile. It is weird to even search various profiles and see what random people look like...for some, that's all I care about. Again, the losers in the group don't appear. Like suspiciously few folks from St. Veronica. Granted, demographics have proved that people in their early to mid 30s are slower on the facebook game than the young 'ens. Though I think the website is a useful tool for uploading photos and a passive way to keep in touch with a lot of people you would not otherwise have time to keep up with. Now if I can just get my brother to have regular Joey updates on a facebook page, I'd be about all set...

No comments: