Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Greatness

I was walking to my office this morning, another beautiful (though hot) September day here in Washington. It struck me at how great this city is.

I first arrived here nearly twenty years ago for a semester, and I never left. I've been privileged to work here, go to school here, to meet my husband a circle of friends here, and to buy a home here. I've interacted with all circles of life--from neighbors to students to lawyers and judges and other public officials. I've had the freedom to change jobs, and I've carved out my own small niche.

That's not to say everything is perfect. I've had my car broken into. I've had neighbor conflicts. I've had friendship transition and change. I've had times that work has not been professionally fulfilling.

But at no time have I viewed Washington as being an inhibitor. It's always a gateway, an opening.

The campaign rhetoric here has been horrendous. If you filter what you hear through the media, white people are all racists. Women all are discriminated against. People of faith hate gay people. Inequality drives everything we do, and this country has suffered. Some savior needs to emerge to liberate us from our chains that hold us back.

Yet that has hardly been my experience. Yes, this stuff happens. Yes, absolutely, injustice occurs and some people have not been handed the same deck as other peers. Sometimes dumb luck intervenes.

But you can walk out of the door of a Starbucks or a Peet's, you can carry your latte, you can meander toward the office and cut through a park, and life is grand. All people, all backgrounds, all races and creeds, all of us are criss-crossing through town. No one is overtly held back. No one is impeded. No one needs to rescue.  No one needs to make it great.

2 comments:

Bảo Ngọc said...

Sử dụng https://kronopolvietnam.com/san-go-chau-au-cao-cap-sieu-chiu-nuoc-tot-nhat/Sàn gỗ nhập khẩu Kronopolvietnam cho việc trang trí nội thất căn nhà ngày càng trở nên phổ biến và quen thuộc đối với mỗi gia đình bởi tính thẩm mỹ và giá cả hợp lý. Nhưng sàn nhà được bền, đẹp theo thời gian thì bạn cần phải biết sử dụng và bảo quản sàn gỗ công nghiệp đúng cách.

Milasha said...

For widowers, life seems to stop when their late wife passes away. Yet, in some time you want to feel alive again and dating site are a great option to gradually return to fascinating process of dating. With Sofia Date, I felt that I can be happy again. Met a woman aged 54, and we understand each other well. Not sure about marriage, but I definitely like spending time with her. real dating